Beat the Streak Report: Wednesday, May 5
It was all sunshine for our streakers on Tuesday, as the seven most popular selections each hit safely to extend the streaks of about 42 percent of the BTS world alone.
The day’s biggest culprit was Aramis Ramirez, who went 0-for-4 to drown the streaks of 2.1 percent of users.
Meanwhile, our two fearless leaders, “dodger_blue” and “olifante,” each extended their runs to 31 games by picking Austin “Danger” Jackson and Ryan Theriot, respectively.
Speaking of which, “dodger_blue” was gracious enough to respond to our inquiries and give us a little information on the man behind the streak.
“dodger_blue,” also known as John Phillips, is an aspiring veterinarian and recent graduate of UCLA who currently lives in Orange County, Calif.
As his user name suggests, he is a Dodgers fan, with his favorite players being Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier, James Loney and Russell Martin.
His strategy thus far has been picking players who bat in the top three of their lineups and are on the visiting teams, “so you are guaranteed a potential at-bat in the ninth.”
John has also been looking at lefty-righty matchups and at players who are sizzling at the plate.
One thing that severely stuck a needle in my ego balloon was that John revealed to me that he only read the “Beat the Streak Report” on Monday for the very first time.
Despite my most dogged attempts, I was unsuccessful in trying to hack into our computer database to reset his streak down to two.
Anyway, thanks for taking the time to answer us, John, and thanks for the playing Beat the Streak.
Time for Wednesday’s picks.
Oh, hello there …
- Adrian Gonzalez: .367 AVG (11-for-30) lifetime vs. Rockies starter Aaron Cook
- Nick Markakis: .344 AVG (11-for-32) lifetime vs. Yankees starter Andy Pettitte
- Aaron Hill: .400 AVG (4-for-10) lifetime vs. Indians starter Fausto Carmona
- Matt Kemp: .435 AVG (10-for-23) lifetime vs. Brewers starter Dave Bush
- Jason Kubel: .643 AVG (9-for-14) lifetime vs. Tigers starter Rick Porcello
Feeling kinda spicy?
- Willie Bloomquist: .500 AVG (7-for-14) since ’05 vs. White Sox starter Freddy Garcia. Come on, it’s Freddy Garcia! I know you’re thinking about it …
- Fernando Tatis: .800 AVG (4-for-5) lifetime vs. Reds starter Johnny Cueto. I double dare you.
You’ll thank me later …
- Paul Konerko: .160 AVG (4-for-25) lifetime vs. Royals starter Brian Bannister
- Miguel Cabrera: .100 AVG (1-for-10) lifetime vs. Twins starter Kevin Slowey
- Hanley Ramirez: .100 AVG (1-for-10) lifetime vs. Giants starter Barry Zito
Still riding high behind our top two leaders is “bowl218,” who rode a rejuvenated Alex Gonzalez to an impressive 30-game streak.
Top MLB streakers
Four players tied with eight-game streaks.