He may not don the black cloak or rock a scythe, but for the third time in six days, Derek Jeter has been the grim reaper for our streakers worldwide. After an 0-for-4 Sunday, Jeter annihilated 4.5 percent of the BTS pool, while his teammate, Mark Teixeira, went hitless in two at-bats to kick the bucket on 7.2 percent of our users.
I can understand why Teix was such a popular choice, as he entered Sunday’s contest with a ridiculous .583 (7-for-12) lifetime average vs. opposing starter Scott Kazmir.
Jeter is another story, as the Captain was just 6-for-38 (.158 AVG) against the hard-throwing southpaw and, ya know, IS IN THE MIDST OF A 5-for-29 SLUMP.
Whoa, sorry I blacked out.
Anyway, the denouement is not to be blinded by the star-power highfalutin names and to just look at the numbers.
I’m trying to help you here.
Let’s move on to Monday’s picks …
Oh, hello there …
- Michael Young: .500 AVG (6-for-12) since ’05 vs. Tigers starter Jeremy Bonderman
- Shin-Soo Choo: .381 AVG (8-for-21) lifetime vs. Angels starter Jered Weaver
- Franklin Gutierrez: .500 AVG (8-for-16) lifetime vs. Royals starter Kyle Davies
- Kelly Johnson: 1.000 AVG (5-for-5) lifetime vs. Rockies starter Jason Hammel
- Adam Lind: .455 AVG (5-for-11) lifetime vs. Red Sox starter Josh Beckett
- Ryan Braun: .417 AVG (5-for-12) lifetime vs. Pirates starter Zach Duke
Feeling kinda spicy?
- Mark Grudzielanek: .545 AVG (6-for-11) lifetime vs. Angels starter Jered Weaver. I double-dog dare you.
- Ryan Spilborghs: .400 AVG (10-for-25) lifetime vs. D-backs starter Dan Haren. You’d be sick to go with Spilborghs. In a good way.
- David DeJesus: .375 AVG (6-for-16) lifetime vs. Mariners starter Felix Hernandez. Seriously, take a cold shower before pressing the “enter pick” button for DeJesus. It’s King Felix, for crying out loud!
You’ll thank me later …
- Stephen Drew: .000 AVG (0-for-7) lifetime vs. Rockies starter Jason Hammel
- Aramis Ramirez: .000 AVG (0-for-8) lifetime vs. Nationals starter John Lannan
- Andre Ethier: .000 AVG (0-for-6) lifetime vs. Mets starter Oliver Perez
We have reached a final 10! The following 10 streakers are atop the leaderboard with 22-game streaks and are 38.6 percent on their way to riding gold-plated ponies into the sunset:
Top MLB streakers