A classic mistake ended the streaks of 7.8 percent of our Beat the Streak family.
The Twins played the Tigers on Thursday. Detroit sent Dontrelle Willis to the mound. Joe Mauer is a really good hitter. This appeared to be a primo matchup. Except that it wasn’t.
You see, it was an afternoon game. The Twins and Tigers played the evening before. Mauer is a catcher. Catchers normally sit out day games after night games. And Mauer sat. But then he didn’t.
In the top of the eighth inning, Minnesota manager Ron Gardenhire summoned his 2009 AL MVP into the batter’s box to pinch-hit. Mauer struck out swinging. His day was over, along with the 7.8 percent of users who selected him.
New Beat the Streak Report rule: Don’t pick catchers on day games after night games.
Let’s move on to the weekend’s picks …
Oh, hello there …
- Colby Rasmus: .417 AVG (5-for-12) lifetime vs. Reds starter Johnny Cueto
- Alex Rodriguez: .600 AVG (6-for-10) since ’05 vs. White Sox starter Freddy Garcia
- Adrian Gonzalez: .778 AVG (7-for-9) lifetime vs. Brewers starter Dave Bush
- Matt Kemp: .389 AVG (7-for-18) lifetime vs. Pirates starter Zach Duke
- Ryan Howard: .435 AVG (10-for-23) lifetime vs. Mets starter Mike Pelfrey
- Bobby Abreu: .533 AVG (8-for-15) since ’05 vs. Tigers starter Jeremy Bonderman
- Troy Tulowitzki: .417 AVG (5-for-12) lifetime vs. Giants starter Jonathan Sanchez
- Joe Mauer: .429 AVG (6-for-14) lifetime vs. Indians starter David Huff
- Joey Votto: .455 AVG (5-for-11) lifetime vs. Cardinals starter Chris Carpenter
Feeling kinda spicy?
- Tony Abreu: .500 AVG (4-for-8) lifetime vs. Cubs starter Randy Wells. Want to risk it all on the “other” Abreu?
- Greg Dobbs: .538 AVG (7-for-13) lifetime vs. Mets starter Mike Pelfrey. Have you seen Pelfrey’s numbers this year???
- Henry Blanco: .625 AVG (5-for-8) lifetime vs. Phillies starter Jamie Moyer. Backup catcher, anyone?
You’ll thank me later …
- Billy Butler: .000 AVG (0-for-7) lifetime vs. Rays starter Jeff Niemann
- Nick Markakis: .000 AVG (0-for-12) lifetime vs. Red Sox starter Daisuke Matsuzaka
- Johnny Damon: .182 AVG (4-for-22) lifetime vs. Angels starter Jered Weaver
Hey, look at who’s on the leaderboard!
The fab five is still alive, as the following five users sit atop our leaderboard with 26-game streaks and are 45.6 percent on their way to bathing in bottled Voss water for the rest of their lives. Just because they can:
Top MLB streakers
Six players are tied with eight-game streaks.