Picks of the day
- 8-for-16 (.500) vs. NYY RHP Mike Mussina
- .333 AVG in August
- 4-for-9 vs. CHC RHP Ryan Dempster
- 9-for-12 (.750) in last 3 G
Yesterday’s picks, results
- Lance Berkman (HOU), 3-for-3
- Alfonso Soriano (CHC), 2-for-4
Top 5 current leaders
1. damayr (Milton Bradley), 34 games
2. cubdane (Lance Berkman), 28 games
2. joeythecrow2004 (Lance Berkman), 28 games
2. longlostlocke (Albert Pujols), 28 games
5. drs0380 (Carlos Quentin), 26 games
5. huhino (Ryan Theriot), 26 games
5. jamesakahouse (Mark Teixeira), 26 games
Fan of the day
Jeffrey Mayer — known to BTS competitors as damayr — has surged to the top of the BTS leaderboard with a 34-game streak.
No, folks, this is not Jeffrey Maier — the 12-year-old who reeled in Derek Jeter’s home run at Yankee Stadium in Game 1 of the 1996 ALCS. This Jeffrey Mayer hails from Buffalo, N.Y., where he lives and works as a state corrections officer. Mayer pulls for the Phillies, especially their double-play combo of Jimmy Rollins and Chase Utley — his two favorite BTS picks.
It’s thanks to this hard-hitting Philadelphia duo and three other reliable bats — Jose Reyes, Ichiro Suzuki and Dustin Pedroia — that Mayer finds himself in the midst of a career streak that shattered his previous high of 11 games.
And unlike the 12-year-old who became a media darling back in ’96, Mayer has kept his 34-game feat under wraps to avoid jinxing his chances. Of course, if this streak continues, this Jeffrey Mayer could also soon be well-known amongst sports fans.
Yesterday’s Top 5 most selected players:
1. Lance Berkman (HOU): 8.5%, 3-for-3
2. Dustin Pedroia (BOS): 8.2%, 3-for-5
3. Alfonso Soriano (CHC): 6.2%, 2-for-4
4. Albert Pujols (STL): 5.4%, 2-for-4
5. Derek Jeter (NYY): 3.6%, 1-for-4