Andre Ethier took Wednesday afternoon off with an elbow ouchie, hitting the pause button for 12.3 percent of all Streakers and three of the top five.
The Dodgers also have an open date today, meaning that current leader jngmz733 (28 games) can match AE at 29 games with a correct pick.
“Jngmz” — could it be? Is there a real live MLB superstar making Streak picks alongside the rest of us lowly mortals? If they pick Shin-Soo or Asdrubal against Brett Anderson today, we’re launching an official BTS Report investigation. Conspiracy theories might abound …
“Show us the birth certificate” … because only contestants who are of legal age of majority in their jurisdictions of residence are eligible for BTS prizes. “Release the photos” … of Jeanmar making a pick on his computer. “We never landed on the moon” … no, seriously, that one is legit.
Anyway, Mr. Gomez — if that is your real name! — there are plenty of non-Indians suggestions in …
(Make a BTS pick)
Oh, hello there …
• Ben Zobrist: .467 AVG (7-for-15) since ’06 vs. Blue Jays starter Ricky Romero
• Raul Ibanez: .556 AVG (10-for-18) since ’06 vs. Nationals starter John Lannan
• Johnny Damon: .600 AVG (6-for-10) since ’06 vs. Blue Jays starter Ricky Romero
• David Wright: .417 AVG (5-for-12) since ’06 vs. Giants starter Jonathan Sanchez
• Aubrey Huff: .444 AVG (4-for-9) since ’06 vs. Mets starter Mike Pelfrey
Feeling kinda spicy?
• Edgar Renteria: .533 AVG (16-for-30) since ’06 vs. Nationals starter John Lannan
• Yadier Molina: .417 AVG (5-for-12) since ’06 vs. Marlins starter Josh Johnson
You’ll thank me later …
• Ryan Howard: .172 AVG (5-for-29) since ’06 vs. Nationals starter John Lannan
• Torii Hunter: .125 AVG (3-for-24) since ’06 vs. Red Sox starter John Lackey
• Brandon Phillips: .136 AVG (3-for-22) since ’06 vs. Astros starter Brett Myers
• Kevin Youkilis: .111 AVG (1-for-9) since ’06 vs. Angels starter Joel Pineiro
Still no Streaker name-drops here until someone beats Ethier. Andre is also temporarily ineligible for fun-facting because he took a voluntary vacation day in the middle of a 20-plus-game hit streak. Hey, we don’t make the rules. J.K., we definitely do make ’em, and it’s quite the power trip. No yelling on the bus!
Jeanmar Gomez fun fact (did you ever think you’d see the day?): On May 29, 2009, Gomez threw the first perfect game in Double-A Akron Aeros history.
Top MLB streakers
Andre Ethier: 29 games
Jacoby Ellsbury: 13 games
Adrian Gonzalez: 11 games
Elvis Andrus: 10 games
Matt Holliday: 10 games
Ben Zobrist: 10 games
(Make a BTS pick)