Sunday was funday, as nine of the day’s Top 10 choices either got hits or didn’t play (Joe Mauer), allowing for most of our streakers to live another day.
Ichiro was the biggest bearer of bad news, as Mr. BTS went 0-for-5 to press the reset button on 3.4 percent of all streaks.
I’m not done with Ichiro just yet. For as long as I can remember, Ichiro was the kingpin in the Beat the Streak hierarchy, the head honcho of the BTS brigade, the old reliable who we all … relied on.
But, it’s time to at least consider that Ichiro turns 37 this season (37!) and might not have that backbreaking speed that allowed him to leg out those infield dribblers for most of his career. Also, he’s now gone hitless in seven of the Mariners’ 25 games, which is to say, you’ve had a better than one-in-four chance of having your streak snapped if you’ve chosen Ichiro.
That’s not good.
To be fair, the lifetime .333 hitter is also a lifetime .299 hitter for April, so let’s just hope he’s off to just another slow start.
But at the very least, put the above trinkets in your back pocket and save them for a rainy day.
Time for Monday’s picks:
Oh, hello there …
- Alex Rios: .571 AVG (12-for-21) lifetime vs. Royals starter Gil Meche
- Magglio Ordonez: .489 AVG (22-for-45) lifetime vs. Twins starter Scott Baker
- Nick Swisher: .476 AVG (10-for-21) lifetime vs. Orioles starter Jeremy Guthrie
- Ian Kinsler: .400 AVG (4-for-10) lifetime vs. A’s starter Dallas Braden
Feeling kinda spicy?
- Garrett Atkins: .625 AVG (5-for-8) lifetime vs. Yankees starter CC Sabathia. I’m gonna say this one just isn’t a very good idea, ‘k?
You’ll thank me later …
- Albert Pujols: .125 AVG (1-for-8) lifetime vs. Phillies starter Joe Blanton
- Kevin Youkilis: .222 AVG (4-for-18) lifetime vs. Angels starter Joe Saunders
- Dexter Fowler: .000 AVG (0-for-9) lifetime vs. Padres starter Kevin Correia
And then there were three.
The weekend eliminated two from atop our leaderboard, leaving us with three top dogs reigning supreme with 29-game streaks. With that said, the following three BTSers are 50.9 percent on their way to having one of those licorice dispensers from “Wayne’s World” in their cars. Just because they can.
Top MLB streakers